Saturday, November 16, 2019

Caturday Art & Leo Update

Of course with the update on Leo, I decided to use his picture this week for Caturday Art! I love lunapic's choices and had to force myself to stop! Here he is in all his artistic glory!


Fairy


Nouveau


Picasso


Psychedelic


Scribble


Christmas Needlepoint


Couldn't help it, had to have it make this gif of Leo in an ornament with snow!

And here's the original

 The update on Leo's vet visit: He was not happy and sang the song of his people from the minute he was put into the PTU until they arrived at the ebil v.e.t, whereupon he invoked his right silence in the presence of his oppressor (aforementioned ebil v.e.t). The song began again upon leaving there and did not stop until he was released back in his homeland. It's funny because Leo hardly ever talks.

Know how I was wishing and hoping there would be no pills because Leo is completely un-food motivated?  Wish I'd have bit my tongue... Because, yay no pills! However.. we have to put ointment in his eye twice a day!! I think I'd rather do pills..
We are going to be bloody messes, there's no doubt in my mind at all. If you happen to see two maimed corpses discovered among a snarling mini-lion in the next week or so, please inform the authorities of our identities..

Seriously though, it's not a bad cold at all, the vet said, just an over anxious momma. He got a shot, they put drops in his eye so they could look at it and make sure there was nothing in it, then they put in the first dose of ointment. So really all is good on that front.

However.. his weight. At his length and height 15 pounds would be a nice weight, not fat, but not thin. He's usually around a lean 11-12 pounds. Yesterday, he was under 10! 9.80 to be exact and I'm not happy. I know being sick reduces appetite, but this is a low for him. (vet? unconcerned..)

They discontinued his favorite crunchy food last year, and while he likes some of the new offerings we've been trying, nothing brings him running like a fresh bowl of that old one. He can take or leave canned food. It is SO hard finding food without fish!! Do they not realize that desert creatures (like the ones cats were decended from) would have no access to fish?? They know there is a corrilation between fish and urinary crystals, still, there is fish in EVERYTHING. Even things that say "Chicken" or "Poultry Platter" will have at least fish oil in it. Crunchy and canned alike, it's do dang hard to be fish free!
Ok, rant over.. Sorry, pet peeve.

So now I have to find a way to get more food in a cat who is not food motivated and who, while he has no fever, just doesn't feel good at the moment. Ideas? Thoughts? Prayers?!
Thank you!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

New items went onto the Winnie's Wish Holiday Auction last night! And more to come in the following weeks!

https://winnieswishauction.blogspot.com/




~~~~~~~~~~~~


https://www.athenacatgoddess.com/

15 comments:

Summer said...

I'm with you on the difficulty for finding fish-free food. Fortunately, we don't have to worry about UTIs here - we aren't prone to them. But if my human had a male cat, she would be hyper vigilant because with boy cat's anatomy, it's WAY more of an issue. We eat premium canned food only (Halo and Instinct), and some raw, but I am not sure of the ingredients, as far as fish oil goes. My human is more concerned that the protein on the label matches the ingredients, and lets things like fish oil slide.

Memories of Eric and Flynn said...

I agree, it is a worry when they lose weight. it happens so easily but is far harder to put it back on.
I like all of the Lunapic effects. My favourite is Psychedelic.

Melissa, Mudpie and Angel Truffles (Mochas, Mysteries and Meows) said...

Purrs that you survive unscathed! Mudpie is the same way...not food motivated at all. And one of her favorite kibbles was recently discontinued but I was able to stock up on a few bags.

Brian's Home Blog said...

Those were sure fancy LeoArt! I wish you all the best with the ointment, we're all not fuss with meds here. Feel better soon Leo and eat some.

pilch92 said...

Very nice art, especially the Christmas one. Good luck with the eye meds. There is a new medicine to stimulate appetite. It is a gel form of mirtazapan that goes on the ear and has no side effects. I know the pill version made cats act strange, but this stuff is great. XO

The Island Cats said...

We like all of the art this week. We’re glad Leo’s vet visit went well. But the weight loss is troubling. We hope you can find a food that he likes and is fish free.

Cathy Keisha said...

Would he eat freeze dried raw like Stella and Chewy? I love them as treats but you can add water and feed as a meal. I don't think the Chik-chik-chicken has fish in it. I love my kibble too much to TW's chagrin. Try the Born Carnivore chicken. Aut Pauline's cat Shamrock used to be allergic to chicken and she had the same problem±no cat food without it.

Katie Isabella said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Katie Isabella said...

I love 1, 3 and 5! By the way I wish there was another window cling in the auction. I loved that, but didn't want to bid against someone who really loved it as much as I did, too.

I am not really glad that the vet was unconcerned. Any cat that loses weight like that needs some concern, in my little opinion Has Leo had lab work in the past year?

You are sure right about fish in everything. And chicken is a close second!

Any possibility of a second opinion for Leo? The vet giving a second opinion would probably be glad to...and who knows...he might hope to be THE one. :-)

Athena Cat Goddess Wise Kitty said...

Poor Leo.

Maybe a second opinion?

Athena won't eat fish. Some cats really don't like it. I feed her chicken - both dry and wet. She also likes to drink water (from a mug!)

Is Leo drinking enough water?

Hope he gets his appetite back and you find some delicious healthy food for him.

Love the art!

Purrs xx
Athena and Marie

meowmeowmans said...

What beautiful artwork of Leo! Now, Leo, please fgeel better soon, and try to eat a little more, okay? XO

catladymac said...

Purrayers and POTP for Leo & Mom that you can find a balance between no fish and something he'll eat.

Eastside Cats said...

Gosh, my cats won't eat anything BUT fish...and turkey. They're ignoring chicken, and we won't even mention beef. Try to dose Leo's eye when he just awoke from a nap; he may be lazy enough to not fight!

Mickey's Musings said...

Our Georgia ia also a hard one to feed.
She eats,but not a lot and she also hates taking pills.
She prefers dry over wet.
Her main problem is constipation :/
We send lots of purrs for Leo <3
Purrs,Georgia and Julie

Anonymous said...

Try Leo on a some human baby food. When my cats were sick, I'd get them the basic chicken, turkey and/or beef in gravy purees. I think they call it first stage(?). Look for brands that only have the meet and water, some brands also include oninon, garlic and/or cornstarch, all no nos for cats. I've also mixed in a little plain yogurt and fortiflora to help boost their immune system. Most cats love that stuff. I know it's not a long term solution but might help stimulate his appetite. Good luck!