Thursday, August 19, 2021

New Developments

Oh have we got developments going on around here. Lots of them.

First off, had to get a new laptop and so I got a skin for it immediately! What do you think? Think anyone can tell I like cats a little bit?? :D


Next, you know Twin2, right? She and her hubby had the sweetest baby boy two years ago and he made friendly with my kitties. 
 
(old picture) 

Well about 20 days ago, July 31st to be exact, they welcomed another little guy into their life! 
 

And the big brother is very very happy with his little brother! Little brother came over to meet me last week and got sniffed a bit by curious kitties and they declared him perfect, just like his big brother! yay!We are all over the moon about this development! 


Then we had some issues with Leo's fur getting all matted up. I kept trying to trim them out, but he HATES that, so I had to sneak trim when he was sleeping comfortably. 
This is one such spot. Please note that the furs come back curly! 


This cutting them out here and there was not working, and some of them were getting pretty stuck-close to the skin so I had to take drastic actions... I ordered a pet trimmer.... it's so shocking that I will have to post about that another day! 


Glitter was having issues too. 


Her pretty ruff gets so long that she can't get it out of her mouth when she's grooming and we end up with pictures like that one! Poor girl! Obviously she'd need some trimming too... More on that another day as well.

After the trimming sessions we found a very revolting development! They have fleas! We have not had fleas here since before we got Leo!!! But in some shortened fur (oh the humanity, wait til you see!) we noticed them.... I HATE fleas!!! So we went right out and got some Advantage Frontline (went back and checked, said the wrong thing at first, it was frontline not advantage) and got it on them right away. 
It did nothing. Well, that's not quite true, it made for some very very very thirsty cats for about 24 hours. Have any of you had that happen?? 

They always lick the condensation off of my water bottles, right? Leo and Glitter the most, Cashmere sometimes. But that day, everyone was constantly after my bottles! Glitter came up every ten minutes I swear! And she was so obsessed she even tried grabbing them with her paws. They have a full water dish all the time. So I told Greg maybe they wanted it cold? He put ice cubes in their water dish and they drank half of it in a few hours! It's a big bowl so they normally just take down an inch or so, and they have water upstairs too that they like to drink on the bathroom sink. But they wanted ice baby! Is that normal with Advantage?

And while I'm asking. What is the best flea treatment now? Anyone have a good recommendation? Do I need to get something from the vet? I remember back when we did have fleas getting some kind of oral medication for the fleas that worked really well and fast.. Is that still out there? 
Thank you in advance!! 

So that's most of our new developments. And the hinted at one of post-trimmer Leo and Glitter... oh dear or dear, you're gonna flip your tails off when you see! 

8 comments:

catladymac said...

I get a newer formula called Catego from my vet, because she said fleas have developed resistance to some of the older formulas. (I bought flea meds from the vet all along, so it was not a ploy to get me to buy from them) I wonder if the ice is just a treat they have found because of the heat. Purrs that all goes well. Our one long-haired old boy has a lion cut, but he is a calm cat.

pilch92 said...

Congrats on the baby nephew. They are both adorable. I love the laptop skin. SOrry about the fleas. We had them once when we took Spooky in because the flea stuff we used on him didn't work and before we realized it all the cats had it. I highly recommend Capstar tablets , you can get from Chewy without a prescription. One pill will kill all the fleas on the cat immediately and it is very safe. You also need to keep vacuuming and emptying it because those little suckers jump out. Then Revolution or something from the vet is safest. Good luck. XO

Brian's Home Blog said...

The wee boys are so cute!!! Oh my mats and fleas, that's an ordeal that nobody needs, we have used Advantage II in the past and have had good luck with it. Simon gets Revolution but it sure is expensive. Good luck getting rid of those evil buggers.

The Island Cats said...

Wow, lots going on! Congrats on the new baby in the family. The only flea medication I’ve ever used is Revolution so I probably am not the best one to give advice. :)

Summer said...

We get our flea treatments from the vet. They seem to be on top of the latest ones.

Memories of Eric and Flynn said...

Congratulations on the new grandson!
I always used Frontline but it never gave the boys abnormal thirst. It seemed to work well as I never saw a flea on either of them.

Katie Isabella said...

Frontline got to be like putting water on them it was so useless. I use Advantage when sitters bring in fleas. So far I have never not had excellent results with Advantage. I hope their formula isn't getting useless as did Frontline. I have not heard of Revolution. I will check to see if I find any so I can have it on hand.

The baby is precious!!! I'd love to hold him.

Katie's Mom

meowmeowmans said...

Congratulations on your new grandson. That photo of him being fed by his big bro is adorable. We hope you can get those fleas under control. :(