Thursday, July 6, 2017

Cashmere VS the Vet, Take 2

You all remember last month when Cashmere had to go to the vet for a UTI? We did manage to get all ten of those pills down her and she was doing fine.

Until Tuesday. The Fourth of July. When the vet was closed. Of course, right?

Poor girl kept trying to pee on everything but nothing was coming out. I was contemplating taking her to the ER vet because I was worried. She managed to go a little bit in the box, and didn't act like she was in distress, so we waited. And worried. I called the vet bright and early Wednesday and they got her right in.

Want to see how happy she was about that?

Cashmere: I will cut you....



Cashmere was gracious enough to provide them with a fresh sample. Right on the exam table... They tested it and yup, blood in the urine. Poor girl!

So she's on a 14 day course of antibiotics this time (instead of 10 days like last time) and we had a lovely time getting her first pill down her.. Where's the sarcasm font? I can about guarantee two weeks of her running from us at pill time.

I know Greenies makes pill pockets, but all three of my kitties HATE greenies. Does anyone know if any other company makes pill pockets? Are they soft or hard? I will take any and all advice on getting these pills down her. She will not eat any human food so can't put it in tuna or liverwurst or chicken or cheese.. She doesn't care for soft tender treats. If there's a better way to do this than shoving them down her throat, I'm listening! Please and thank you!


You brought me here again, I'm not even going to look at you.. Bring in the vet tech who knows how to scritch my ears, but keep that V. E. T. person away!



Nice try, but you cannot make me like you by giving me treats. I dislike you so much that I'm not even going to EAT the treat! So there!


One other question. Has anyone ever given their kitty Amitriptyline HCL to keep them from straining when they pee? I don't know that I want to give it to her.. I had to get it at the people pharmacy and they always give paperwork with pills so I read it. This stuff is an antidepressant! (I'm really concerned that she can't drive or operate machinery while taking this! not to mention it specifically says no alcohol or marijuana, how will I ever explain that one to her?) Even the off label use paragraph said nothing about straining. But here's the kicker, one of the side effects listed is.. trouble urinating! Um.. seriously? Would you give this to your kitty? Should I? Anyone have good results with it?
(Why do I feel like a new pet parent.. shouldn't I know all this by now? sheesh)

Thanks in advance for any advise, and for purrs and prayers for my little sweetie!

16 comments:

Summer said...

Wow, Cashmere is a tough one - she doesn't like most of the stuff that humans usually hide meds in. I heard of something called Flavor-Doh that's like Play-Doh only it's all flavor that you can put pet meds in. But it's soft (not as soft as pill pockets), so I don't know if she'll like that either. Binga's the hard cat to pill in our family but my human just shoves it down her throat. She has no mercy, MOL!

Eastside Cats said...

Yes, Summer is right! It's called pill paste, and we use it for Chuck's medicines. Not all pet stores carry it, but around us in Michigan I can find it at Petco stores. Also avail online; it's soft stuff that you wrap around pills or capsules, then offer like a treat. Good luck! We've discovered that stress causes some bladder problems with kitties, which is no doubt why they prescribed that antidepressant

Katie Isabella said...

I'm not a Vet and I don't play one on TV, BUT... as you already know without me saying, of course she's straining right now to pee...she has an infection. That seems odd the vet would prescribe something about straining. A few days of pills and she won't be straining. By the time she's finished her course of meds, there you go...all better. However there may be another reason. Katie only had meds for 14 days with her UTI. No anti-strain med. Cashmere, ease off if you can. Your mommy wants you well and unfortunately there is only one way to do it. The V-e-t.

XXOO to all three.

The Island Cats said...

Poor Cashmere! It's not unusual for a UTI to come back like that. Means the first round of meds didn't really get it all. There's a product that I've used called pill paste. It's moldable, you form it around the pill and the cat should eat it like a treat. As far as using Amitriptyline, I have not, but I know others who have with good success. I hope Cashmere feels better soon. ~Island Cat Mom

Random Felines said...

never fails that they wait for a holiday

I agree about the pill paste: https://www.chewy.com/tomlyn-pill-masker-bacon-flavored/dp/121157

I don't know about the other meds, but if you have concerns call the vet back and get a better explanation.

Anonymous said...

Andrea, my vet gives me antibiotics in a liquid form that you squirt between the teeth into the cheek because my cats eat the pill pocket and spit out the pill. Good luck from Karen Lucas

LP said...



I was thinking pill paste too as has already been mentioned. Also liquid antibiotics if it is possible to get for her. I've used liquid meds for the cats in the past as it is easier to get into their system than pills! Cashmere, try to help your Mama out, ok?!!

Hope she co-operates more for you, Andrea! XO

the critters in the cottage xo

Photo Cache said...

Take care sweetie. We don't like pills either and we know where they are hid so we say no to the treats with the pill inside.

Emma and Buster

Brian's Home Blog said...

Since pills are a problem that's a tough one. I battled peeWars from months and get 4 pills in the morning and 4 in the evening, one is amatriptyline, which has anti inflamatory properties in us kitties.

da tabbies o trout towne said...

cashmere; we R troo lee sorree ta lurn bout de nastee UTI N we hope it goez a way N stayz a way N never ever ever comes bak......blessingz two ewe.....N tell yur mom her can crush de pill sooper fine: use a spoon bak if nothin else; N if ya eat canned; mix it in with yur food; stirrin reel lee good sew ya canna smell it ~~~ ♥♥♥

pilch92 said...

I have gotten meds compounded to rub in the ear-maybe that is an option? I will be praying for Cashmere.

Mr Puddy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mr Puddy said...

Poor Cashmere, I feel for you ! I hate pills myself and I still struggle with it too. I moved from Australia to Bangkok and Here got none of the pill pockets. Yeah, It's pretty taught when me get sick. I'm a difficult guy when it comes to pill time too. None of the tips from our friends works for me. Mom inserted one of my tablet to the treats, but end up, I don't eat or drink whole day. Crushed the pill and mixing with food ? I walked away. Now the only way they can give me a tablet, they have to put me in the pillow case...Yeah, Not fun at all. but I did have my medicine.

Miss Cashmere, I used to have pee problems. Not blood but crystal. But I did straining too. The Australian VET asked me to eat Royal Canin Urinary to help me stop straining. What this food does ? It help me drink lots of water and keep my pee's pH in the normal level. And it works for me till now. May be you can ask your VET for something similar.

Sending a ton of purrs to you sweetie.
HUG to your mom

Saku said...

We have been fortunate here in that we haven't had to go to the ebil v e t or have to take pills. But we want to send our purrs that Cashmere is feeling better soon.

Mark's Mews (Marley, Lori, Loki, and Binq) said...

We are all very good pee-ers, so we cant help there. But we arent great on pills. TBT has the best luck crushing the pills between 2 spoons and mixing it with cream cheese. We LOVE cream cheese! If cream cheese isnt yer thing, try minced bacon or ham.

Connie - Tails from the Foster Kittens said...

pill pockets are made by greenies, but they don't taste like them. When I used them, I would break the pocket up and put the smallest amount on the pill I could and then roll the rest up into bits. I would feed the none pill bits first, and when they were ready to gulp and not chew I would feed the one with the pill. Once I realized that trick, they never found the pills again.