Friday, February 19, 2016

Glitter is a HERO!

Ok, bear with me please. This is very fresh and I'm still a little freaked out here. But I wanted to write it down. When I think what could have happened.. I'm getting teary eyed and freaking myself out, so I want to write what DID happen, not what could have happened so hopefully to reinforce that we are ok!
My whole neighborhood is ok! And it's all thanks to Glitter, the sweetest, prettiest, cuddliest hero ever!

It started, like this things always do, when we were sound asleep. I still had the TV and a light on, but I'd fallen asleep and was probably out for the night, TV noise or not. (obviously not the first time this has happened..) I got woken up by Glitter stomping her way up my chest. She's not a little kitty, not fat, just a large cat, and certainly not something you can ignore. So I started petting her, trying to keep my eyes shut so I could stay asleep.

She was persistent, but she always is. So I gave her big snugs and hugs. Glitter, you see, is very fond of the 'two arm wrap around bear hug belly rub', so I obliged. She was restless and didn't stay long. But now I was awake.. I don't know about you, but when I wake up there is one thing I have to do.. and this woke Greg up who asked "do you smell smoke?" I did not but I looked out the window and the yard looked foggy. No, idiot, I told my brain, not foggy, smoky!

Greg looked out the front and back, especially the back because the idiot right behind us has been known to leave his fire pit unattended. But it's winter.. Didn't see anything. Greg looked out the side and yelled! Catty corner to us was fire! He ran to the phone and called 911 while I freaked out! Because, well, that's my thing... I'm a freak-outer.

I had reason to though. In the few minutes before we heard sirens, the fire grew! It was taller than the two story houses around it! There is no way to describe exactly how scary this was! It looked SO CLOSE and SO BIG! And all I could think was our van is broken and we only have two cat carriers and three cats! I kept screaming for Greg to get the carriers out so if we had to go they wouldn't freak the second they saw them. Rather, they could freak. then get used to them being out, then hopefully be easily caught if we had to run for our lives, which it looked like we'd have to do! Where were the firemen!?!?

Honest to God, it felt like an hour, but they were there within five minutes. By then the garage (which we found out in a little bit was what was on fire) was a conflagration, and the fence and a tree were on fire too!

Pretty soon we saw it... Sparks. EVERYWHERE! They looked like they were raining off of our roof, dropping past my window. I could see them everywhere, embers, sparks, whatever, little floating orange bits of stuff. They were rolling off of the garage behind us like fuzz from the cottonwoods do in summer!

That was enough for Greg, he ran outside. He said he was stomping out embers in our yard; the snow is gone and we never got the dried leaves off the lawn.. He popped his head in to say what he was doing and to say he was going to wake the neighbor, the one who's house the fire was behind, so they could check their yard. That left me to quietly (or not so quietly) continue to freak out in the house. And there are still only two cat carriers and now the cats out of sight! I don't know why a third carrier didn't just magically appear now that we needed it..

Again, it felt like it rained embers forever, but it was probably less than half an hour. Greg stayed out there stomping and checking the roof. So did the neighbor who lost his fence. I kept watching the fire get smaller and smaller, and was able to start breathing again..

Greg and the neighbor showed the firemen where embers were starting another tree on fire because they had gathered in the crook of branches up high. That tree was closer to our house! But they got it out, thank God!

The fire is out, Greg is back in, the garage that was on fire is now on the ground, nothing left, the fence is charred and burnt. The tree is still standing, I think we'll have to look at it in daylight to see how bad it is. Because as I'm writing this, it's 5am and dark out. Which makes me think.. the reason I could see the smoke outside must have been because of the light from the fire, because I can't see anything out the windows now.

If the fire department had been any later... If we hadn't woken up.. If Glitter hadn't woken us up.. I think the whole neighborhood would have gone up, certainly more than one garage and fence. It was SO intense and got huge SO fast.. Makes me wonder what the heck started it? It could have been so much worse. So I had to use a cold compress on my eyes because of the smoke that got in, that's little compared to if we'd have had to leave or if it had spread to our house or a million other possibilities that will keep me up for the rest of the night..

I'm thankful for the firemen. Thankful for Greg. Thankful for Twin2 who let me freak out at her on the phone while Greg was outside. Thankful to God for keeping us safe. And seriously thankful for my pretty Glitter for stomping me awake in time!


Neighborhood watch kitty saves us all!


Oh, and guess who's going to buy a new cat carrier so we have one for each kitty? Yup, me!

Thanks for listening! I know I am probably all over the place and will read this with horror later, but I had to get it out and I do feel less freaked out now! Maybe I will sleep some after all.. later. ;)


~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On a night when I'm all freaked out and had to tell you all this long story, I still don't want to forget to post this:


Mo is the guy who keeps the Cat Blogosphere going on a daily basis and posts about our fundraisers and so many other events around the blogosphere!
Happy Birthday Mo! Hope you know that we all love you!

33 comments:

The Swiss Cats said...

OMC ! OMC ! How scary ! We're so glad you're all safe ! We wish you a relaxing weekend after all these emotions ! Purrs

Linda said...

How scary! I am so relieved to hear you and your family (both 2-legged and 4) are all,ok.

Marg said...

Wow, that is so scary. So glad that all of you are all right. I would have been a total wreck. Glad the fire dept. got there so fast.

Katie Isabella said...

I am so glad to read this through and send love and purrs and more loves to Glitter. She is a hero. Thank you Glitter for your action. You smelled that smoke and knew it was wrong. You saved your family. They rescued you and you rescued them. You are the best of girls. XXOO always.

Random Felines said...

fire is the one thing that freaks mom out the most. great job Glitter!! so glad you are all safe....

Robyn said...

That is so scary, Andrea - I'm glad you're all okay. And yay to Glitter, who certainly deserves an award!!!

pilch92 said...

I am glad everyone is OK. Glitter is definitely a hero. Good idea to get another carrier.

Hannah and Lucy said...

Thank goodness you are all safe Andrea - were the cats OK or where they scared to death. It was fortunate that Glitter woke you and Greg smelt the fire and called the fire brigade. We're sorry the garage burned but better than your home, your family and your cats.
Love, Hannah, Lucy and Mum Sue x

Melissa, Mudpie and Angel Truffles (Mochas, Mysteries and Meows) said...

That is absolutely incredible!!! So, so thankful everyone is alright. And your little hero deserves something *extra* special this weekend!

Anonymous said...

So happy to read about the magnificent Glitter doing her job (saving her family) and happy to know everyone is ok - garages and fences can be replaced.

Cathy Keisha said...

Glitter is a hero and the newspapers should know about it. The peeps had a few very close fire scares in the old house and they had to evacuate once. Luckily they didn't have a cat then. TW is terrified of fire.

Connie - Tails from the Foster Kittens said...

Considering what happened and the adrenaline running through you, the story is very well composed and clear. :)

but WOW..

Sounds like Glitter deserves real live dead shrimps for dinner tonight!! so glad everything is okay for you in the end.

Summer said...

What a scary experience! My human would have been freaking out too, so she understands. I'm just glad that Glitter woke you up and everybody is safe!

Brian's Home Blog said...

Such a scary story and that Glitter sure is a hero, she wasn't taking no for an answer!

da tabbies o trout towne said...

guys...we iz buzzed happee ewe R all oh kay N de nayborz R two....

glitter; ewe dee serve a hero's medal.....ewe R all sew a veree veree smart kitteh ta a lert yur mom that sum thin was wrong; fire IZ scaree .....

we wood bee afraid all sew....

high paws & headbonx two ewe ♥♥♥♥♥

Colehaus Cats said...

Oh, Glitter! You saved everyone! We are very proud of you, and of your Mom and Dad, and that you'll have a carrier soon for all of you! <--- best idea ever!

Memories of Eric and Flynn said...

That is so scary! Thank heavens that Glitter was able to wake you. She really is a hero!

The Island Cats said...

Wow! We're so glad you all are okay. And paws up to Glitter for waking you. She deserves extra treats!!

Cat and DOG Chat With Caren said...

OMC I would have been a basket case!! Thank COD you are all ok and thank COD for Glitter! You should tell your local TV station about her! She DID save everyone! xoxoxo catchatwithcarenandcody

Quill and Greyson said...

Thank Cod you're all well!! Go Glitter!!

Elvira Mistress of Felinity said...

Wow!

What a story!

Bravo Glitter!

Tama-Chan, Benny, Vidock, Violette, Ollie, Heloise, Momo, Ryu said...

Glitter, you are a real HERO!!!!!!

Purrs,
The Chans

sandy l said...

Glitter - you are amazing!! Thank you so much for keeping your family and the neighborhood safe. I am looking forward to hearing what treats and presents you get for your heroic efforts!!!

sandy l said...

Glitter - you are amazing!! Thank you so much for keeping your family and the neighborhood safe. I am looking forward to hearing what treats and presents you get for your heroic efforts!!!

meowmeowmans said...

OMC! That is so scary. We're so thankful for Glitter ... she really IS a hero!

Glad you're all safe, dear pals.

Noodle Cat said...

Yikes! Great job Glitter!
Hope your weekend is a lot less stressful...

Noodle and crew

Debra Taylor said...

I bet Glitter must really love you - can just see her stomping up your chest - what we do to love our sweet kitties.

Pet lovers please check out my homeless cat blog about the abandoned/feral cat colony I manage.

Debby in Prescott Valley, Arizona
http://homelesscatcare.blogspot.com/

Eastside Cats said...

Yay Glitter!

Deziz World said...

Way to go Glitter!!! We's so glad you are all safe and sound and thanks to Glitter. Sorry this had to happen but thankfully it was nothing in da end. And good job on gettin' da appropriate nummer of carriers. We luv our stroller. Just a thought. It's purrlenty big enuff fur both of us and we be really large kitties. Sendin' purrayers fur all.

Luv ya'

Dezi and Lexi

John Bellen said...

I just read this article today. What a frightening ordeal. It shows how terrifyingly swift a fire can be. Thank goodness for Glitter. She knew something was amiss. I'm glad there was only property damage; as bad as that may be, there are things infinitely worse. Whew.

Mark's Mews (Marley, Lori, Loki, and Binq) said...

HURRAY, GLITTER!!! Good werk...

CJ said...

Way to go glitter! You are a hero! Mom and I just got past our anniversary of our fire and we know how scary fire can be. We are glad everyone is okay!

Purrs and hugs!
Cj, sisfur Mia and their human (Kathi)

The Menagerie Mom said...

Oh, wow. I'm so glad that everyone is okay. Glitter, you really are a hero! Many purrs to you!